Monday, July 28, 2008

Take your position pg 361

This is the part about teaching that I am nervous about. I have been in some subbing situations where the students have just gotten completely out of control because I didn't know how to maintain or get back any kind of order so that anything productive could go on. I don't want to run the classroom with an iron fist and never let anyone talk and never let anyone have any fun, but I do believe that there has to be some sort of order for productive learning to take place. If I am understanding Assertive Discipline correctly I do think that it will contribute to a productive learning environment. I don't want the students to feel contained but they should know that there is a line that they should not cross. It's not only about being able to have a good learning environment but it's also about being respectful towards fellow students and your teacher. If one student doesn't want to learn and another does and the other acts up it can be distracting and disruptive to the rest of the class. A productive learning environment doesn't mean that all the students and sitting quietly in their desks listening to everything that the teacher is telling them, it just means that they know how to act appropriately in a classroom setting, I think that assertive discipline can have the potential to help with their social development as well. Knowing that rules has consequences is not just something that takes place in the classroom, it's a fact of life. If we break laws their are consequences, if the students disobey their parents, if they break rules at work there will be consequences. I don't think that it should be such a controversial subject. The students should know what they can and cant do in the classroom and what will happen of they do do those things. This applies to any situation. I do believe that there will be less tension and the students will have a productive learning environment if Assertive Discipline is implemented.

No comments: