Monday, July 28, 2008

Take your position pg 405

  This issue is really hard for me to decide on between to the two. I think that students need both teacher and learner centered instruction. There are certain things that are better learned from both ways of instruction but, with my inexperience there is a chance that I might change my mind later. 
  I am not an advocate for all teacher-centered instruction, I do not think that students will learn anything from solely sitting and reciting what they have been told. But I am not all for student lead instruction either. If students could learn everything they needed to on their own what would be the point of having teachers at all. I think that the teacher needs to be there as a guide and to explain certain concepts and principles. Then the student should be able to expand on the key concepts and principles through their own exploration. I also believe that learning depends on experiences and teachers need to be there to connect the content to life experiences that students have had or might have to help them enhance their learning. Teachers are also their to guide practice and give feedback, this also enhances learning. 
    There is a point where the teacher needs to step back and let the student take the reigns and guide their instruction. As it was pointed out in the book, learners construct knowledge to help them make sense of what they experience. Students have to do this themselves, teachers just might need to help connect certain experiences. 
I also think that a lot of learning is done in groups and if students are given concepts and then sent to expand on those in groups and bounce ideas off of each other, then this can lead to a very productive learning environment. If students are given concepts and principles in a teacher-centered manner and then given opportunities  to expand their knowledge in a learner-centered manner it will help enhance their comprehension and create better learning environments. 

No comments: